The other day I was stuck for what to make for dinner. Usually our dinners are not anything too extravagant. My go-to meals consist of cod (our favourite fish), or chicken, rice & veggies. We eat this often and it’s easy to make. I think people get the idea that I am always cooking incredible meals for Thomas and I. Sure there are days where I feel inspired, but to be honest, after a day full of cooking for others, I often just want to come home and throw a quick meal together, or order takeout if I’m really lazy lol.
So as I was driving home from a day of cooking, a craving suddenly hit this pregnant lady. Stew. I wanted a big bowl of beef and barley stew (inspired by my Dad who made this occasionally for us growing up, even though he doesn’t like stew as much as Mom and I). I headed straight for the grocery store to get some key ingredients.
|Beef and Barley Stew Grocery List|
|Fresh Produce||Meat||Packaged Goods|
|Carrots||Stewing Beef (0.5kg)||Flour (Quinoa or W.Wheat)|
|Celery||Package of Pearl Barley|
|Small Package White Mushrooms||Olive Oil|
|1 Onion||1 Can Tomato Paste|
|Garlic||2 Cartons Beef Stock|
|6 Small Potatoes (any)||1 Can Beans in Tomato Sauce|
|1 Can Kidney Beans|
|14 oz Diced Tomatoes|
|Salt + Pepper|
|Dry Thyme & Rosemary|
|Garlic & Onion Powder|
Most of these items you may already have in stock. Now that we have everything we need, let’s make our stew!
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- 1 small package of white mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 small potatoes
- 0.5 kg of stewing beef
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons quinoa or whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 2 cartons beef stock (or replace one carton with mushroom broth)
- 1 can beans in tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans (large or small, your choice), rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- splash of olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by chopping all vegetables.
- Wash and peel the potatoes, chopping into bite size pieces.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cut the stewing beef into smaller pieces if needed and place in a ziplock bag with 1/4 cup of flour. Seal and shake the beef so all pieces are coated.
- Add the beef to the pot with a bit of salt and pepper and brown all sides. Once browned, remove beef and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil to the pot and add all vegetables (except potatoes). Add salt + pepper, and remaining spices. Let them cook until soft (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add potatoes, barley, broth, beans, diced tomatoes and paste to the pot and turn heat on high. Stir.
- Throw in 2 bay leaves and let it come to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 1 hour.
- Once stew has cooked, you can whisk in the remaining flour to thicken if needed.
- Optional: serve with buttered bread to dip
- Hint: freeze leftovers for another day when you don't feel like cooking!